Saturday, December 18, 2010

Pictures


ABC News' Christiane Amanpour speaks to the 2010 News and Documentary graduates. Amanpour, who anchors This Week with Christiane Amanpour, became a household name because of her work during the first Iraq War and the Balkan's conflict for CNN.








24 hours after her appearance at NYU, Christiane was on the streets of Cairo covering Egypt's demonstrations. From there she sent word back to me that she enjoyed her visit at NYU.









Lesley Stahl visited my spring 2008 graduate newscast class. I was her White House producer during the Carter and Reagan administrations. I was also instrumental in assigning her to 60 Minutes.








Dan Rather was my guest at NYU. I was his producer for years before I was promoted to vice president.








Dan Rather speaks to my NYU graduate TV Newscast class. He was especially emotional when he spoke about his love for reporting.











Our graduate TV Newscast class visits John Roberts at CNN. Known as J.D. before we hired him in 1992 as a correspondent at CBS News, I recommended he go with John.








Our 2009 undergraduate TV Beat class visits NBC Nightly News and meets Steve Capus, NBC News President, and Phil Griffin, MSNBC President. I had worked with both of them because Telemundo was then owned by NBC.








President Bush stayed for a few minutes following an interview with my Telemundo news team one month before the Iraq War.









I enjoy a moment with the Clintons at a White House Christmas party.










President Reagan and I chat following his Oval Office speech to the nation. I produced the prime time address for the networks.  Read my post on President Reagan's humor.









From 1989-1995 I was the CBS News executive overseeing 60 MINUTES, which meant I reviewed and gave final approval for all stories before they aired.








While President of Fox News I purchased their first satellite newsgathering truck.










On assignment in Leningrad with a CBS News crew and correspondent Bruce Morton where I produced a series on the then Soviet Union in 1984.









I arranged for Deborah Norville to host a Mental Health Association dinner honoring ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff. I hired her for a CBS News prime time program in the early 90's; I visited him when he first returned home from Iraq where he suffered severe brain damage in an IED explosion.






Ringing the "Closing Bell" at the New York Stock Exchange last May for the Mental Health Association, where I serve as Executive Vice Chairman of the Board.