Monday, January 24, 2011

NYU Coverage of 2012 President Election and 2010 Midterm Elections

In November, 2012, a combined team of graduate and undergraduate students at NYU volunteered to produce an election special under my guidance.  It included packages, live remotes and thoughtful commentary.   Here is a brief sampling of action behind the scenes as recorded and edited by some of the students.

Program Link: NYU 2012 Election Special

In November, 2010, dozens of graduate and undergraduate students volunteered to produce a midterm election special and devoted whatever free time they could to the effort. I volunteered my time as well.


While I acted as the overall executive producer and organizer, I let the students take the lead. I helped them shape a format, assign contextual background reports (i.e. Tea Party profile), select live remote locations via Skype (i.e. Connecticut), line up guests (from NYU and LEV) and create graphic templates and animations. I also utilized a "project management" site, Basecamp, which enabled efficient and centralized communications for all students involved in the project.

Most of the students involved in the program had taken my graduate newscast course last spring. As a result, the program went live with only a few mistakes although the team did not have time to rehearse.

Program Link: NYU Election Special

*(See Student Comments later in this blog.)