
In 1998, Sony purchased Telemundo, a US based Spanish language network. Sir Howard Stringer, a former colleague and friend, asked me to study the company and the Hispanic market and make recommendations to set up a strong Telemundo news organization. Shortly after presenting my comprehensive plan I agreed to become Telemundo's head of news.
I founded a news department of more than 250 people, created a strong brand identity around outstanding breaking news coverage (i.e., 9/11 and the Iraq War), developed and launched news magazines and their first ever weekend newscasts, a public affairs program, output deals with international broadcasters and a presence on the Internet. I hired and developed reporters, writers and producers, and implemented news gathering standards. Telemundo News received critical acclaim, improved ratings and its first national Emmy award.
I stepped down in January 2006, ending my seven year commute between Telemundo's Miami based headquarters and New York.
Here is a brief sampling of work done under my editorial leadership:
Highlights: Telemundo Breaking News Coverage
Highlights: Sin Fornteras, Telemundo's News Magazine